Being a Pakistani, I just loooove to give advice. The line between my life and yours is a little blurry, you see. Everyone I know, or don’t know, between Gwadar and Parachinar, is an extension of my really extended family – bhai, baji, amma, baba, khala, chacha, beta, beti, uncle, aunty, bua. So naturally, I have your best interests at heart, muah!
Now, if you were clever like me, you would have realized that advice is free, just like a smile. Since smile is charity, advice is too. You should follow logic baba on twitter. He says A is equal to C (uff, we’ll talk about B when he’s left the room). Now don’t ask me for money – I have none to give, only advice, on how you should have spent yours, more prudently. As it is, I’m already over my budget this month because I bought this blessed pair of chappals that the phuppo next door swears by – they ARE the secret to obedient husbands. So for the rest of the month, I’ll give you smiles and advice.
What I’m about to tell you is derived from centuries of hair-whitening research from our nannies and grannies. It is specific to the Pakistani phenotype and genotype. If you are our Afghan or Saudi brothers, please triple the strength for each tip before use. If you’re Indian, Israeli or American, go flush yourself down the toilet. (That’s advice too.)
• Don’t work on Fridays. It is for baths, prayers and pelting stones on passing cars, if you feel offended.
• The secret ingredient in finger-licking good food is perspiration. Work up a sweat.
• The antidote to envy is to have a tablespoon of sour grapes soaked in gripe water at bedtime.
• Don’t buy lawn from Peepak Derwani. He has cheetah prints and even zebras know that cheetahs are not halal. Only Jay-Jay has halal lawn.
• Rickets is better than a sun-tan. You’ll get married as long as you’re fair.
• We have no CNG in cars and no electricity in homes, because there is no Haya in women. Stop blaming the government.
• Bald men are virile. Ladies use that information carefully, and use polio drops when necessary.
• If you want to be filthy rich, avoid frequent hand washing.
What did you just say? Mind my own business? No, no, no. I don’t own my business. It is in my great-grandmother’s name, because she doesn’t have an NTN.